The winner of Joining Sword & Pen 2017-18 will receive the Margaret W. Martin Award:
The winning script will be workshopped through Fighting Words in 2017.
The winning script will be produced as part of Babes With Blades’ 2018-19 Season.
The winning playwright will receive a $1000 cash prize.
U.S. and International submissions accepted.
In order for their scripts to be considered, playwrights must observe and adhere to ALL of the following SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS.
1. Please email your submission in a PDF file to Delia Ford:
IMPORTANT: This will be a BLIND SUBMISSION PROCESS.
Your email submission should contain two separate attachments:
a) Your cover page. INCLUDE the play’s title, playwright’s name, and full contact information (name, phone numbers, email, mailing address).
b) Your script. INCLUDE a list of characters, and the page number where the contest’s image is incorporated. DO NOT INCLUDE ANY contact information, of any kind, in the body of your script. An author’s identity will only be revealed to the ensemble once a selection has been made.
2. Submissions are due NO LATER than March 9, 2017. By submitting a script, you are agreeing to adhere to the deadlines on the workshop and production schedule.
3. All submissions must be new, original works, inspired by the artwork that is the focus of the contest. Previously written, workshopped, published or performed submissions will not be considered and we will not contact you. Please do not insert the contest image into an existing script.
4. The moment depicted in the inspirational image must be physically dramatized/incorporated into the play. We want to (literally) perform that moment on stage. Please include the page number of your script where the contest’s image is depicted in your submission email.
Please note: the models in the inspirational images are intended as prompts, to provide an emotional starting point for your reference. You are NOT required to incorporate those specific people, body types, races, ages, etc. into your script – rather, take the moment depicted and make it your own.
5. Only FULL LENGTH submissions will be accepted: at least 60 pages (75-120 minutes) in length. Do not send incomplete submissions, excerpts, or a synopsis. They will be rejected.
6. Please include a list of characters. Both all-female and mixed-gender casts will be considered, but women must be in most/all of the primary roles, and women must be featured in most/all of the combat.
7. Scripts submitted will be considered the original creations of the authors, not Works for Hire. The author will retain all copyright rights and privileges granted thereto. If a winning script is subsequently published, we ask authors to note “Babes With Blades Theatre Company” as the original producing company.
8. Please let us know in your submission email where you heard about JS&P.
1. Physical conflict is a big part of what we do, so the inclusion of fights is important as long as they serve the story and the characters. Quantity is not key – quality is.
2. We typically perform in black box theatres on limited budgets, so less is often more. Scripts that require fewer than 12 actors and uncomplicated/limited scenery tend to work best for us.
Still have questions?
1. Try visiting our FAQ for more information.
2. Please email Delia: firstname.lastname@example.org